Monday, June 6, 2011

Jellies at the Beach

Jellyfish at Cocoa beach. It's been all over the news and everyone is talking about it here at the beach. They are thought to be mauve stingers, which are not native to North America and aren't really none to bloom at any particular time except for maybe during seasons of El Nino. While 1,600 people within a 10-mile stretch have been stung, I've actually enjoyed watching them on the beach. I came at an optimal time though, before I arrived on Saturday to the beach it was covered in dead washed up jellies but that hasn't been the case since I've been here and there aren't a ton in the water. Each day that passes the number of jellies in the water is going down. As long as you dont step on the ones on shore and just watch for them in the ocean you aren't going to get stung. They are a redish-purple color, so easy to see in the water. They are also small and not aggressive, I just think those 1,600 people just aren't paying attention to there surrounding.

Here are a few of the ones I have seen in the past few days....




I actually think they were cool to watch how they move and they are kind of awesome to see. I caught a few just to watch and then release.

No comments:

Post a Comment